About this Platform
Green Tableware Platform aims:
- To address the opinions received from the food and beverage industry during the public consultation;
- To provide comprehensive information about the alternatives to disposable plastic tableware, and facilitate the industry and the public to source alternatives that can meet the requirements of the proposed regulation; and
- To facilitate the industry and the public to get a better understanding of alternatives that are available in the market and encourage the use of reusable tableware.
Tableware suppliers may submit application to the Secretariat for enrolment of their non-plastic disposable tableware products. Qualified tableware suppliers and their tableware products will be displayed in the "List of Suppliers" and "List of Tableware Products" of this Platform respectively for reference of the trades and the public.
Who can Enrol?
Any tableware suppliers in Hong Kong or other regions may enrol their non-plastic disposable tableware in this Platform. The enrolment is free of charge.
How to Enrol?
1. Submit Application
Applicants shall submit their applications and upload the relevant product information as well as supporting documents via the online application system. Besides, applicants shall submit relevant product samples of their non-plastic disposable tableware to the Secretariat by post or in person.
Applicants shall submit the following material testing reports or certificates issued by local or international (e.g. Europe Union) accredited laboratories, inspection bodies or certification bodies in order to demonstrate the compliance of the concerned product with the relevant “non-plastic” requirements:
- Fourier Transform Infrared Spectroscopy (FTIR) material analytical report (or equivalent document(s)), showing the major composition of the concerned product; or
For paper-based product containing water-based barrier coating (if applicable):
- Test report showing compliance with the repulpability standard (score not less than 70) as specified in the Group Standard “Water-based Coated Paper Cup (including Water-based Coated Carton Paper” (T/CPA 001-2021) and its relevant amendment issued by the China Paper Association (or equivalent document(s)); or
- Certificate of “plastic-free product” recognised in European Union (or equivalent document(s)); or
For non-pulp product (e.g. wooden fork, bamboo knife etc.) without any additives (if applicable):
- Duly-signed sample of self-declared material data sheet confirming the material composition of the concerned product.
- Sample of Self-declared Material Data Sheet
*Remarks: Applicants shall submit at least ONE material testing report or certificate for the same type of tableware of similar structure/use. For example, for a hot-drink cup and a cold-drink cup product, if they are of similar structure/use, applicants may submit the material testing reports or certificates of either one of the products. If necessary, the Secretariat may further request the applicants to provide supplementary documents to confirm whether the concerned products comply with the requirements of the proposed regulation.
Applicants shall submit six (6) product samples to the Secretariat for review. If an applicant submit an application for more than one products which are made of different materials (e.g. a cup made of Material A and another cup made of Material B), the applicant shall submit six (6) samples for each product. If necessary, the Secretariat may conduct further testing to confirm whether the product samples comply with the requirements of the proposed regulation.
For ease of identification, applicants shall label each product sample with the following information:
- Name of tableware supplier
- Product name
- Product code
Acknowledgement of receipt of application
After receiving an application, the Secretariat will send an acknowledgement email to the applicant to acknowledge receipt of his/her application. For enquiries, please contact the Secretariat and quote the application number on the acknowledgement email for ease of retrieval of the relevant file.
The Secretariat will assess all information submitted by the applicants, including material testing reports, certification certificates, product samples, etc. If necessary, the Secretariat may contact the applicants and/or other relevant persons for clarification or supplementary information, or may conduct further testing to confirm whether the product samples comply with the requirements of the proposed regulation.
The Secretariat will notify the applicants of the assessment results by emails. For successful applications, the relevant company and product information will be displayed in the "List of Suppliers" and "List of Tableware Products" of this Platform.
What are the Benefits of Enrolling your Products?
- The enrolled products are considered to be in compliance with the requirements of the proposed regulation, which can enhance the confidence of F&B industry and the public in selecting the products;
- Strengthen the communication between the F&B industry and tableware suppliers, so as to facilitate the industry and the public to get a better understanding of the suppliers’ products;
- Enhance the transparency of the market of alternatives to disposable plastic tableware; and
- Provide more comprehensive information to the F&B industry and the public, such as the requirements of non-plastic disposable tableware and the market situation, etc.
How Long is the Validity Period of an enrolled product?
Two years (tentatively). The applicants shall update the applications of their enrolled products biennially and provide relevant supplementary documents (e.g. updated material testing reports or certificates, etc.).
Notes to Application
Click to access Notes to Application
All products qualified and displayed on this Platform are considered to be in compliance with the relevant “non-plastic” requirements of the proposed regulation based on the information provided by the applicants. Nonetheless, for the other information provided by the suppliers for their products, including physical and chemical properties, functions and other certifications, etc (e.g. dimensions, hardness, heat resistance, chemical stability, food safety, etc.), they are for general reference only. Whilst the Secretariat endeavours to ensure the accuracy of such information, no statement, representation, warranty or guarantee, express or implied, is given as to its accuracy or appropriateness for use in any particular circumstances. Anyone with any questions about such information should contact the relevant tableware suppliers directly.